Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Help with understanding this phrase: Knowledge is true opinion.?

It means that we have opinions about the universe. The vast majority of them are incorrect. We ';know'; something when our opinion happens to coincide with the way it really is.





An example. I have two opinions. One is that Hitler was a maniac who believed in Aryan superiority. The other is that he won the Second World War. They are both opinions, but only the first is knowledge, because it happens to be true.Help with understanding this phrase: Knowledge is true opinion.?
Yes, knowledge is an opinion which is true. However, there is a piece missing to this quote. Knowledge is JUSTIFIED true opinion. Meaning that simply because you believe something and it happens to be true does not make it knowledge.





For example, if you are thinking of a number between one and ten, and I am of the opinion it is seven, I may or may not be right. If I am, it does not mean that I had KNOWLEDGE, I simply had a lucky guess. On the other hand, if I know that seven is your favorite number, and you have chosen seven the last ten times we played this game, I am JUSTIFIED in my opinion. Assuming you have chosen seven again, I could say that I ';knew'; you were thinking of the number seven.Help with understanding this phrase: Knowledge is true opinion.?
Quite right. The opinion of someone who has real knowledge is true. The word opinion in other circumstances has a different meaning ie it is what somebody thinks not what somebody knows. When opinion is born out of real knowledge it is an expression of knowledge not guesswork opinion.





So TRUE opinion is knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment