Sunday, February 7, 2010

Are examinations the true test of a students knowledge?

Points solicited for a good school debate. Against the motion clarifying that exams are not the true test of a students knowledgeAre examinations the true test of a students knowledge?
My personal opinion is no. I think that ppl can contain a lot of knowledge, but its about many topics. I think that tests dont explore that idea. They are usually for a specific topic or topics. For a lot of ppl who suffer from Test anxiety, like me, do horribly on tests, but i can still ramble out facts and ideas or theorys or whatever about that topic. Tests are just a way to measure how much u remember. But its not a measure of ur knowledge. Like for some ppl it goes in one ear an out the other, but if it was on another topic then u might be interested in it and remember it forever. So i say NOAre examinations the true test of a students knowledge?
I don't believe so.
As an educator, I am not a huge proponent of testing. I feel that rather than being a measure of students' knowledge, it is a measure of their ability to recall memorized information under the pressure and time constraints that testing provides. I do feel that testing is sometimes necessary, however, more so as a reflective tool for teachers to help determine which common areas students are struggling with. There are many other more efficient ways to assess students' learning without giving them gray hairs by the third grade because of all of the tests they've already been given.
Absolutely not...standardized tests are a bunch of bull
well, you tell me: In my third year Applied Physics class I got raped by the course - did not understand ANYTHING. The exam was ALL Multiple Choice. I guessed on EVERY question and still passed the course. Now assuming I passed all the courses by guessing on every single exam and assuming I was going into that field and I was responsible for constructing a building with a team of civil and mechanical engineers and I was the team leader...would you step inside the building I designed? enough said
they should only a part of the assessment.. some people are not good test takers.
This is an excellent question.





There is a curriculum, but since you can't test it all, the examination will be biased. If you read chapter 8,9,10, which happens to be on the test, but not 1-7, you can do an A+, where you deserve less. Furthermore, some people are nervous natured and may get less than they deserve, when they would do fine under normal circumstances. Some may get more by ';studying for exam';, e.g. practicing typical exam assignments instead of reading and understanding the curriculum. Lastly, you can have an off-day.





The bottom line is that you do not always get a grade that fits with your skill level. But grades and skills are correlated and there is still no proposal for a better way to test skills
Exams have a small connection to the intelligence quota of a human being. However, intelligence is often confused with exposure. Many students can think on a level higher than many of their teachers realize. They simply have not been taught how to cultivate the nature of their thought life into a social and academic proactivity. All they know is to ask intelligent questions, and when they get no intelligent answers, they are thought of as dumb. they simply have not had access to store more material in their minds. A dumb banker's son may get an A on a math quiz, while a smart junkman's son without access to the information in which he would certainly excel, makes an F. Is the exam the determining factor of intelligence, or is exposure the factor of the show of intelligence?
I had an instructor that gave us what he called ';shot-gun'; short tests fired at us when we least expected it; to see where the class was in retention of facts. The main thing he stressed, was to learn how to learn and apply our curiousity to achievement of knowledge, then wisdom, experience. It's really a time thing and no test yet can quicken the process, but aftermath test review helps the whole class when they pay close attention to their errors!
no!but its the teachers test of knowledge.if your teachers taught you well then you know all the answer to his or her question, because they taught you those things.well if you failed it means that your teacher did not taught you well.
A test of a student's knowledge, but not THE true test. I remember, decades ago, in college, I believe a junior I was, when I was in a wonderful Political Science course on African Politics and Theory taught by an old man who, truly, was the living embodiment of Mr. Magoo, in every way you can imagine. I loved his course and participated in daily discussions regularly, and respected him immensely. Then came the first exam, and I got a ';C'; on it. After he finished handing out the graded tests, he came to me and said, ';Randy, I want to see you in my office after class.'; (Gulp!!) When I got there we sat and he asked me how I could get such a low grade when daily class participation revealed that I was one of the most studied and involved students in the class. I told him I had no idea why I scored so low unless maybe it was ';test anxiety'; or somesuch. We talked longer and he found out that I had no idea what I wanted to do with my college degree after I graduated. So, we talked on, and he found out that I wanted to begin as a bureaurcrat as a way of working in government and still being able to watch how the decision making was going on at a much closer level. So, he recommended that I change universities, and he told me where to enroll and what graduate program they had that he was sure I'd like. So, I did as he said, and was very successful. And I also found out that day that ';Mr. Magoo'; as I called him in my mind, had been a CIA agent in the Middle East and Africa for 25 years, and had never been discovered. Did this man know how to cover his tracks or what??!!! And did he know how to interview, or should I say ';cross examine'; or ';investigate'; an individual in order to get what information he wanted and needed or what??!! And when I was in the graduate school, one professor was very clear that exams were not the truest test of knowledge, but daily class interaction was. I may not have given you the answers you wanted, but I gave you the truth of the matter as I know it. God Bless you.
I don't think so. I think they only test their memory of the material. To test their knowledge they would have to be broad based -- very broad. Even then I'm sure they would still have knowledge not tested for.
No, test are not a true test of ones knowledge. Test are designed around the knowledge, and reasoning of the person or person which prepare the test. I test to see what the student doesn't know of what I believe they should retain. I can therefore spend more time teaching what they don't know. Simple, yes.





What makes my examinations correct? However there are such things as math and english that are a must.
Yes. why?


Because students learn the material by homework, the teacher, and other assigments. How could u really find out what a student knows or dont know by anything else?
The first debater of your team will have to define what knowledge is. Whether it is pure IQ or not.





If it is pure IQ:


the test will only be testing within a limited scope, those within the syllabus, it would not correctly evaluate the student's knowledge.





If it involves other like EQ,


Examinations will only test a student's IQ and will not be able to test the student's ability to control or understant emotions of self and others. You might also want to stress the importance of EQ as a knowledge in the current society as many employers do not just look out for graduates with high education.


Therefore, examinations are not the true tests of a students' knowledge.
It is dependent of the type of exam....


Multiple guess.. not really, some people can reason their way through those without really knowing the subject.


True/false... again without knowing the subject you have fair odds of demonstrating knowledge you don't really have.


Essay question... some people can wax eloquently with little to no grasp of the subject and do quite well. Others may really know the subject matter, yet lack the skill to transfer it via the written word.


Verbal tests... Again differing intellects will come off better/worse regardless of actual grasp of the subject matter.


The true test is the test of the teacher...does he or she know the subject and the student well enough to teach the way the various students learn. And then are they capable of testing in the way that allows for the most representative results from the students.
  • long hair cut
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment